The Ketogenic (or Keto) Diet is causing a buzz in the health world. It’s been described as the “Atkins diet on steroids” and many Aussies are jumping on board as it can help with weight loss without feeling hungry.
The Keto Diet focuses on foods high in fat, moderate in protein and is very low in carbohydrates. Celebs like Kim Kardashian and Adriana Lima as well as athletes like LeBron James have also reportedly ‘gone Keto’.
How does the Ketogenic Diet work?
Eating very few carbohydrates can get your body into a state called ketosis, where you body starts burning fat for fuel. To get your body in ketosis, you have to limit carbohydrates to 20g per day (or 10% of calorie intake), equivalent to a piece of bread, so it’s not much!
While the diet has shown to work wonders for weight loss, you don’t want you body to stay in ketosis permanently as this can be dangerous. Instead, you may want to do on the ketogenic diet for a short-time to get the results you want. We’d hate to see you cut out carbs forever!
If you are doing the Ketogenic diet, you can always find a healthy option at Soul Origin.
Our nutritionists have done the hard work for you. Here are the top picks to help you stick to the Ketogenic Diet at Soul Origin.
- Our delicious Baby Bocconcini & Rocket Salad is a great pick. Get a medium sized salad with less than 4.3g of carbohydrates and a small size for only 3.3g of carbs.
- Fuel up with the Chicken Avocado Salad and get a dose of healthy fats and protein. Grab a large salad for only 4.8g of carbohydrates.
- Love tuna? A medium serve of our Tuna & Avocado Salad provides you with 6.0g of carbs, helping you feel full and stay under 20g for the stay.
- Our Grilled Chicken and Veg in a medium size is perfect for lunch or dinner giving you only 6.8g of carbohydrates for a filling meal.
- For only 5.8g of carbohydrates, the medium sized Chicken Chorizo salad is a great choice on the Ketogenic diet.
Here are some tips from our nutritionists to help you get the most of your meals on the Ketogenic diet.
- Salad dressing can add fast carbohydrates to your meal. Ask for salad dressing on the side!
- Get extra protein. You can easily get extra chicken with your salad so simply ask our staff who can make it happen.
- Fuel up wit fat. Get your fat intake from healthy fats like olive oils, avocado and nuts. Grab the Chicken Avocado Salad.
- Pick veggies that grow above ground as these contain fewer carbs and are loaded with nutrients and antioxidants. Leafy greens like rocket and spinach are always a good idea.
- Eat mindfully. Eating slowly and mindfully will help with your digestion and also help you enjoy and savour your meal more.